Saturday, April 20, 2013

Evan's "Beautiful Mind"

Evan has been shocking us with some of the things that he remembers, says, and thinks about in the last few weeks.

We knew his memory was getting better a he got older, we realized we could no longer say "we will ____ tomorrow" and expect him to just forget.  He ALWAYS calls us on it now.  Just the other night I told him we could go to the park on the way to swimming.  well we ran out of time and couldn't go to the park so I told him we would TRY to go the next day if the weather was ok.  He woke up the next morning telling me about how he had DREAMED about going to the park!

Last weekend he amazed me when I was folding laundry and I heard him reciting the Pledge of Allegiance under the high chairs.  I asked him to come out and say it to me, so he did...perfectly! He said he does it at school every day ( 2 days a week).

I mean we really don't think this kid listens half of the time! He is a sweet, sweet boy and can tell you anything about dinosaurs, but the kid does not stop running!

So I guess what is making us think the most is this.....
When we ask Evan to count something he counts very well, he often will count an object twice or even skip over one simply because his hands work faster than his brain sometimes, BUT we just learned he can count in his head without even counting out loud!
Example: He got up from his nap one day, he was tired and groggy and upset.  He wanted his "stuff" from bed.  With out using his fingers or counting out loud or even taking a minute to think he said, "I need my blanket, mommy's blanket, my bear, my sheep, my green T-Rex that opens the mouth and my brown T-Rex those 6 things OK?" I was blown away!  I had to stop and count myself and he was right that was 6 things that he wanted!  How he knew that there were 6 things in that group, who knows.
So I thought that was a coincidence and let it go as maybe he already knew that or something. Then tonight Tony and Evan were outside playing and they were doing a obstacle type course.  Tony said "we are going to go to touch the fence, then touch Bampas truck tire, next we need to go touch the orange cone, then mommy's car and last we will get to the porch"  Right away Evan repeated the exact steps word for word and then added "all those 5 places!"  WHAT!?!  Tony had to count himself to see how many steps they had in their plan...he was right there was 5!

Who knows what goes on inside my little boys brain.  Maybe he will be a math wizard :-)

I love this kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment