Now that Evan is in his toddler years, communicating with us much better and learning to follow directions and rules, we are coming across a whole new set of challenges. Evan likes to keep us on our toes!
About a week ago I was cleaning up the living room. At just 2 years old I never expect Evan to clean up everything, but I do expect him to help, even if he only picks up 3 or 4 toys. On this day he wasn't having any part of the cleaning process. I came across a fruit snack wrapper that he had thrown on the floor just 20 minutes earlier and I asked him to throw it in the garbage. "NO" was his reply with a huge smile on his face and a little 'I win' dance. So I left the wrapper on the floor and explained to him that he was not getting anything he wanted or doing anything he wanted until he picked it up. It didn't sink in until 5 minutes later when he asked for juice. "when you throw the garbage away" I said. Tears. I continued to make dinner and clean while he cried "juice plllleeeeeaaaasssseee" I ignored him. He walked around crying and the asked me to hold him. "when you pick up the garbage" I said. More tears. Then he asked for his binky. My response stayed the same. Eventually he disappeared and when I went into the living room he was sitting with the wrapper at the edge of the kitchen. When he realized I might win the tears came again and he threw the wrapper back on the floor. So I left him alone. 10 minutes later he fell at my feet with the wrapper in his hand. I held out the garbage can for him to throw it away and then I held him, gave him juice and a binky. He was a much happier kid then. All of this over a wrapper and who was going to win the battle.
This weekend while I was showering, Evan dumped all of his bath toys on the floor after I told him not to. He laughed and ran away. Tony brought him back to the bathroom, sat on the edge of the tub and proceeded to force Evan to clean up the toys to no avail. Evan just cried and cried. Tony said "that's it your bath toys are going in the garbage" Evan was not too happy about that, but it didn't really hit him until he had no toys for the bathtub that night. He looked in the garbage (we took them out and put them away) and said "toys trash can, dump out" telling me he knew full well what he did. Needless to say he got his toys back the next day and we hope he learned something there.
Today Evan took out a puzzle and dumped it on the floor. When he was done he refused to put it away. I told him he will not ride his bike or get anything he wants until he puts his puzzle away. I only had to tell him once. He left the kitchen for a few minutes then came back, picked up the puzzle and put it away. Progress! There was no battle this time!
As long as we stay consistent (as exhausting as it is) and don't give in to him, hopefully our strong willed 2 year old will learn some valuable life lessons.
| Getting out some 2 year old energy at the park :-) |
No comments:
Post a Comment